What am I all about? My family and I are a ministry with a mission. We participate in events and activities to honor and respect Fallen Heroes, Wounded Warriors, our military (past and present) and we support many non-profit, charitable organizations.

In March 2004, I was on doggie death row at the SPCA. On my third day at the SPCA, Butch (my chauffeur and dad) found a picture of me on the internet and decided to drive two hours to see me. I was afraid of people. Butch asked the SPCA staff if he could talk it over with Jo (Butch's wife and my mom). Butch was told that if he didn't adopt me, I was going to be put to sleep because they were overcrowded. I stayed around Butch's feet and the SPCA staff told Butch that I never did that with anyone else. It took me about an hour to convince Butch to adopt me.

On the first evening at my new home in Apex, NC, my newly adopted parents went to dinner and to buy me some goodies. They didn't want me to get hurt and they also didn't trust me to stay home alone because they started working with me to go outside to pee. I don't understand why they can go to the bathroom inside the house and I have to go outside, even when it's raining! So, before they went to dinner and to PetSmart, they thought I would be more comfortable in the master bathroom instead of my kennel. I tried to make the bathroom more comfortable. I pulled down and tore up the window shades, ripped up the garden tub curtain, and moved everything on the vanity onto the floor. I was making myself at home, but they didn't like it. My parents said I destroyed the bathroom. They were mad, but they didn't hit me. When my parents weren't laughing, I could tell from their tone that I wasn't suppose to do that. I want them to be happy with me, so they only had to tell me once.

I was less than two years old when Butch adopted me. I was full grown, but I was very skinny at about 25 pounds. Now, I'm healthy and I stay between 54 and 58 pounds, depending upon the snacks I get from my driver/dad, my mom, and their grandkids. A couple of days after being adopted, I met with my vet (Dr Gene Bailey in Apex, North Carolina), and I learned I had heart worms. Butch said that he didn't adopt me to put me to sleep, so Dr. Bailey treated me. I wanted to run and play, but Butch wouldn't let me for three months until I was OK. Like my mom, I'm a survivor! (My mom survived breast cancer twice! We love my mom!)

How did I get my name? Some people think I was named after some big hairy guy on a space movie called Star Wars. The same night that I re-arranged the master bathroom, Butch gave me a present from PetSmart. It was a foot-long thick raw hide thing he called a "chew toy." I never had one before. I started chewing and chewing and chewing. When my parents went to sleep, I kept on chewing. Some time during the night, I finished the raw hide. That was pretty good! I went into the closet and found a pair of my mom's leather shoes. Hmmmm. It seemed like that chew toy thing that Butch gave me, so I chewed on that, too. I learned the next morning that was a no-no. They scolded me, but never spanked me. Again, they had to only tell me once because I wanted to be part of this family. They started calling me Chewy. After my first raw hide, I had a bad case of gas the next morning because I was underweight and had never had a raw hide. I didn't mind the smell, but my parents kept leaving the room, so I would follow them. Butch said I was pulling a stinky trailer.

Butch took me sailing many times, but I kept getting seasick and I vomited a lot. I was an OK sea dog. I liked sailing, but I don't like swimming. My parents sold our sailboat in June 2010 and, although Butch was unemployed, they gave all of the money to the church they attend.

My mom had her lower back fused in August 2007 and she was told that she would never ride a motorcycle again. That was my opportunity to spend more time with Butch! I replaced my mom on the Harley and began riding in April 2008. I was a natural and didn't need any training. Why would I need training? Riding a Harley is better than sticking my head out of car window! I'll wear my goggles and helmet when I'm on the Harley, but I don't like them when my paws are on the ground. I ride about 14,000 miles a year and I'm an associate member (not "mascot") of Raleigh HOG. When my parents adopted me, I was very afraid of people, but you probably can't see that now. Butch and Jo worked with me patiently for about four years to help me trust people again. Riding the Harley lets me meet lots of people and smell interesting things.

My first group ride was in May 4, 2008 with Raleigh HOG at the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation's Ride for Kids near Raleigh, NC. That event and cause has a special place in my driver's and my heart, and we have attended at least one PBTF event each year. In 2010, we attended the PBTF in Raleigh, Asheville (as part of Team Brady with Raleigh HOG), and Tampa.

My first long trip was to South Texas in July 2009. We rode Tail of the Dragon for the first time. I learned a lot about travelling with a human on a Harley, staying at hotels, and eating at restaurants. For example, I learned that I could not send my driver alone to get a bucket of ice at a hotel. I had to go with him to make sure he behaved.

We went down (hit by a car) in September 2009, about a month after our friend, Chuck Persinger, was hit and killed. My seat kept me on the bike, but Butch was thrown from the saddle into the oncoming traffic lane. I was shaken up, but I was more confused about Butch because he wasn't moving and people wouldn't let me go to him. If I could just lick him, I could make him better. He was put in the ambulance because he couldn't move his arms or legs. The team at Ray Price Harley-Davidson (Raleigh, North Carolina) fixed my Harley in time for the 2009 Raleigh Christmas Parade. Butch was still in pain, but he decided to take me in the parade because the kids like seeing me.

In August 2010, I completed an Iron Butt ride (1,000 miles within 24 hours) with the Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association's 1st Annual Charlie Mike Memorial Ride. This Iron Butt ride was unique because it stayed within North Carolina in remembrance of the 43 North Carolinians who are MIA. It was also unique because we rode a combination of country roads, highways (2 and 4 lanes), and interstate. On this ride, I earned the road name "IronMutt." Before the ride, I wasn't sure if Butch was going to be able to finish the ride because of his neck and lower back, so he brought a change of clothes in case we had to abort and check into a hotel. We both made it, and we both snored loudly after we returned home.

Also in August 2010, I met and rode with the MeanStreet Riders. Their music is very relevant to the biker world, and the lyrics in their songs have no profanity. Their music reinforces the belief that it's all about the ride, not what you ride. I like these guys and their families and friends. You can check them out at www.meanstreetriders.com.

In January 2011, I was nominated and accepted as an Associate Chapter Member of the American Gold Star Mothers (Dogwood Chapter). I ride with a lot of people to honor our Fallen Heroes, but because I'm a dog, I tend draw more attention to what my driver and I do. For those who do not know, a Gold Star Mother lost a child in the service of our country, and a Blue Star Mother now has, or has had, children honorably serving in the military. Gold Star Mothers was established shortly after World War I, and Blue Star Mothers was established during World War II.

In May 2011, Thomas Sanders, my driver, and I carried a Fallen Heroes roster and several flags across the USA. We went to Oak Island, North Carolina and Brunswick Air flew us along a section of the Atlantic coast. We went to the Gulf of Mexico (Destin, FL), Pacific Ocean (Manhattan Beach, California), and Lake Michigan (Chicago). We rode 7,927 miles in honor and remembrance of Fallen Heroes who gave the ultimate sacrifice while in service to our country. We did this ride in May because Memorial Day is in May.

I have done a lot in a short time. You can see a summary of it in my resume by clicking the resume button at the top of this page.

I have a great life! I don't do tricks. I just love to ride, go places and meet people. Butch has been riding motorcycles since 1976 and, like any seasoned biker, he's seen and been through a lot. Butch and I attend fund raising events and we ride with groups like Raleigh HOG, Christian Motorcyclists Association and sometimes with groups like Rolling Thunder, Combat Veterans Motorcyclists Association, and Patriot Guard. If you see me, I'm friendly. It's OK to pet me if you don't mind if I sniff you and maybe lick you.

If you know Butch, you know he takes lots of pictures at events we attend. Most of those pictures are not of me. He posts those event pictures on my Facebook page and adds links to my website, so please "Like" me in Facebook and tell your Facebook friends about me. Butch sometimes makes videos using those pictures, and you can watch the videos by going to my Gallery.

If you have a picture of me, another biker dog, a biker dog wannabe, or a picture of you that you want to share, feel free to send it to me. Butch will post it on this site. Whatever you send, please keep it kid-friendly! My parents may decide to not post a photo that they feel is not kid-friendly, or what they call a "G" rating (like the movies)

If I haven't met you yet, I hope to see you on the road somewhere!

Keep your tongue in the wind!
dfm0001.gif dfm0001.gif main002014.jpg main002013.jpg
dfm0001.gif dfm0001.gif main002011.jpg main002010.jpg main002009.jpg main002008.jpg main002007.jpg main002006.jpg main002005.jpg main002002.jpg